Source Vol 1 These books have not been translated into English
Empirical Dogmatics(according to the lectures of Fr. John Romanides)
Greek Title: "ΕΜΠΕΙΡΙΚΗ ΔΟΓΜΑΤΙΚΗ"
By: Metropolitan of Nafpaktos Fr. Hierotheos Vlachos
An interview with the author of the book, Metropolitan of Nafpaktos and Saint Vlassios, Fr. Hierotheos Vlachos, by reporter Ms.Thalia Hounda. The interview was published in the local newspaper "DIMOTIKO MELLON".
1. Question: What prompted you to compile the teaching of Fr. John Romanides, which in essence is the official position of our Church?
Reply: The written texts and the oral traditions of Fr. John Romanides have as their core the dogmas of the Church, but, they are delivered from within their basic prerequisite: experience. To the many, dogmas are regarded as arbitrary axioms that have nothing to do with life; the fact is, the dogmas of the Orthodox Church are more reminiscent of medications that scientists have discovered after many years of research and are offering for the healing of various morbid situations.
This is what prompted me to embark on the "Empirical Dogmatics", based on the oral teachings of Fr. John Romanides, which deal with the major existential and ontological problems that torment mankind and which definitely have social repercussions. They are questions such as:
"What is God? How can we attain a personal communication with Him? What is Man? What is the purpose of his existence? Why does death exist? What is there after death? etc...
Fr. John Romanides' teaching fully complies with this requirement. A reader told me that this book can even make an atheist appreciate the theology of the Orthodox Church, because it expresses the depths of the dogma and moves beyond moralistic conventionalities.
2. Question: How difficult was this project, with regard to selecting the most opportune points from out of the entire - and admittedly vast - opus of his?
Reply: The project that I had to compile was indeed a vast and difficult one. I had around 1500 pages of transcripts from taperecorded homilies of the spoken word of Fr. John and I had to isolate the theological topics from among hundreds of other topics - historical, scientific, etc. - because Fr. John Romanides closely linked theology to History, but he also interpreted it from within modern scientific discoveries and therefore I had to locate all the purely theological segments.
But even after this selection, I still had to connect the texts between them into one unity, with a sequence in thought and with relevance. It was like working on a jigsaw puzzle; like taking some exquisite pieces out of an ancient amphora that was discovered in an archaeological dig and presenting a completed piece of work.
I undertook this entire, laborious project with love and inspiration, and I worked somewhat like an artist composing a painting. Thus, even though the project was laborious, it was nevertheless also pleasant, inasmuch as it brought surprise and enthusiasm, even to me. The word "inspiration" says it all. After all, a Christian - as our Fathers said - must work as an artist, as a poet...
3. Question: Please describe some of your own experiences, from within which the personality of that so significant theologian can be highlighted.
Reply: Father John Romanides was a multi-talented personality. He grew up in Manhattan of New York; he studied at the biggest university centers of America (Yale, Harvard...); at Orthodox Schools of Theology in America and Europe (Greek and Russian); he was a professor of Dogmatics in America, in Thessaloniki and Lebanon, and was very familiar with the western and the eastern man. He could equally drive a plane and a boat, and also be familiar with the achievements of modern science.
All the same, even though I had been reading his works from the past, I got to know him personally after his retirement from the University of Thessaloniki, when he was living in Athens. He had a good knowledge of many subjects: theological, scientific, diplomatic, historical... and was continuously into research. His mentality (and the art of a researcher) he had learnt in America. And yet, he was simple, humble, calm, but also concerned about the levels of our society and theology in our land. He was an easterner who lived in the western world; a visionary who lived in a society of many interests; an ascetic who lived outside the Monastery, inside the modern community. I don't wish to idealize him, but he really was a noble and sensitive person.
Twenty days before his passing, when I went to visit him at his home, I discovered that he would wake up in the night and pray - just like a monk - the way his mother did, whom he loved dearly; a woman of the East, who lived the Cappadocian lifestyle inside Manhattan, New York, and who finally became a nun at the Monastery at Souroti near Thessaloniki and under the guidance of the Elder Paisios, who greatly respected her.
4. Question: Are there any "latent" or special points to look out for while studying the books, that the reader has to discover for himself?
Reply: Every reader will be impressed, by various points of his teaching. There certainly are one or two "latent" points for the many, which do however express the depth of his teaching. I have already submitted this question to many readers of the books, to determine if they had located them, and that is why I won't tell you which points they are.
What is important though, is that Fr. John Romanides during the turbulent course of his life had clashed with many theologians, on account of the various changes that he encountered. There were also many who did not comprehend his teaching. But, because he had attained a personal certainty, he was absolute in many topics and would express himself sententiously.
Nevertheless, his basic opus - if one examines it in depth - was unifying, since it pinpointed the relationship between atheists and Christians, Jews and Greeks, orthodox and heterodox, Latin-speaking, Hellenic-speaking and Arab-speaking Romans. He believed in Romanity - not as an ideology, but as a way of life that constitutes a unifying force between seemingly contrary situations. He was a noble, an easterner, deeply democratic and at the same time a revolutionary. These terms may sound contradictory, but they were an expression of the overall manner of his theological thought and of his research work.
- A Commentary On The Divine Liturgy by St. Nicholas Cabasilas, ISBN: 0-913836-37-0
- A Night in the Desert of the Holy Mountain by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos Trans. by Effie Mavromichali, ISBN: 960-7070-31-3
- A Spiritual Psalter or Reflections On God excerpted by St. Theophan the Recluse from the works of St. Ephraim the Syrian, Trans. by Antonina Janda, ISBN 0-912927-40-2
- Against False Union ( with a prologue by Photios Kontoglou) by Alexander Kalomiros, Trans. by George Gabriel, ISBN: 0-913026-49-2
- Akathist To Jesus Conqueror of Death, by St Nikolai Velimirovich, Trans. by Interklima, Copyright 2009, English Edition, by St Paisius Monastery, Safford, AZ
- An Athonite Gerontikon by Archimandrite Ioannikios, Holy Monastery of St Gregory Palamas Kouphalia, Greece 1991
- Byzantine Theology by John Meyendorff, ISBN: 0-8232-0967-9
- Christ Our Way and Our Life by Archimandrite Zacharias Zacharou, ISBN 1-878997-74-2
- Christ The Eternal Tao by Hieromonk Damascene, ISBN 0-938635-85-9
- Commentary on The Gospel of St Luke by St Cyril of Alexandria Trans. by R.Payne Smith, Studion Publishers, Inc. ISBN:0-943670-01-2
- Concerning Frequent Communion by Nikodemos the Hagiorite, Trans. by George Dokos, ISBN: 960-86778-5-8
- Confronting Controlling Thoughts by Antony M. Coniaris, ISBN: ISBN: 1-880971-88-7
- Conversations with Children by Sister Magdalen, ISBN: 1-874679-21-5
- Counsels from the Holy Mountain by Elder Ephraim of Philotheou, ISBN: 0-9667000-2-3
- Daily Readings with St. Isaac of Syria, Trans. by Sebastian Brock, ISBM: 0-87243-173-8
- Dance, O Isaiah by Constantine Platis, unknown printing 2000
- Diary Of A Pilgrimage from the Ancient Christian Writers series, by Egeria, Trans. by George E. Gingras, ISBN: 0-8091-0029-0
- Drinking from the Hidden Fountain by Thomas Spidlik, ISBN: 0-87907-348-9
- Elder Ephraim of Katounakia Trans by Tessy Vassiliaou-Christodoulou, ISBN: 960-7407-33-4
- Elder Paisios of Mount Athos Spiritual Counsels, Spiritual Awakening vol 2, Trans by Fr. Peter Chamberas, Holy Monastery 'Evangelist John The Theologian' Souroti, Greece 2007
- Elder Paisios of Mount Athos Spiritual Counsels, With Pain And Love for Contemporay Man vol1, Trans by Cornelia A. Tsakiridou & Maria Spanou, Holy Monastery 'Evangelist John The Theologian' Souroti, Greece 2006
- Epistles by Elder Paisios of Mount Athos, Holy Monastery of the Evangelist John the Theologian, Souroti, Greece 2002
- Father Arseny Trans. by Vera Bouteneff, ISBN 0-88141-180-9
- Flame in the Snow, A Life of St Seraphim of Sarov by Julia de Beausobre, ISBN: 0-87243-223-8
- From St. Isaac The Syrian to Dostoyevsky by Archimandrite Vasileios, Trans. by Dr.Elizabeth Theokritoff, ISBN: 1-896800-34-3
- Grace For Grace: The Psalter And The Holy FathersCompiled and Edited by Johanna Manley, ISBN: 0-9622536-1-8
- Hesychia and Theology by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos, Trans. by Sister Pelagia Selfe, ISBN: 978-960-7070-60-9
- His Life is Mine by Archimandrite Sophrony, ISBN: 0-913836-33-8
- I Love Therefore I Am by Fr. Nicholas V. Sakharov, ISBN: 0-88141-236-8
- In The Light of Christ, St Symeon The New Theologian by Archbishop Basil Krivocheine Trans. by Anthony P. Gythiel, ISBN 0-913836-91-5
- Isaac of Ninaveh ( Isaac The Syrian) The Second Part, chapters IV-XLV, Trans. by Sebastian Brock, ISBN: 90-6831-709-1
- Missionary Lettersof Saint Nikolai Velimirovich vol 1, Trans. by Hierodeacon Serafim, New Gracanica Monastery, Grayslake, IL
- Monastic Wisdom, The Letters of Elder Joseph The Hesychast, ISBN: 0-9667000-0-7
- Mount Athos Renewal in Paradise by Graham Speake, ISBN: 0-300-093535
- Nil SorskyTrans. and Edited by George A. Maloney, ISBN: 0-8091-9810-7
- Not of This World,Compiled and Edited by James S. Cutsinger, ISBN: 0-941532-41-0
- On Prayer by Archimandrite Sophrony Sakharov Trans.by Rosemar Edmonds, ISBN 0-88141-194-9
- On The Apostolic Preaching by St. Irenaeus of Lyons, Trans. by John Behr, ISBN: 0-88141-174-4
- On The Cosmic Mystery of Jesus Christ by St Maximus The Confessor, Trans. by Paul M. Blowers & Robert Louis Wilken, ISBN: 0-88141-249-x
- On The Human Condition by St Basil The GreatTrans. by Nonna Verna Harrison, ISBN: 0-88141-294-5
- On The Incarnation by St. Athanasius, ISBN: 0-913836-40-0
- On The Mother of God by Jacob of Serug, ISBN: 0-88141-184-1
- Once Delivered to The Saints by Fr. Michael Azkoul, ISBN: 0-913026-84-0
- Orthodox Faith and Life in Christ by Father Justin Popovich Trans. by Asterios Gerosterios, ISBN: 1-884729-02-9
- Orthodox Psychotherapy by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos, Trans. by Esther Williams, ISBN: 960-7070-27-5
- Orthodox Spiritual Life According to Saint Silouan The Athonite by Harry Boosalis, ISBN: 1-878997-60-2
- Orthodox Spirituality and The Philokalia by Placide Deseille Trans. by Anthon P. Gythiel, ISBN 978-0-9717483-7-8
- Orthodox Spirituality by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos, ISBN 960-7070-20-8
- Passions and Virtues According to Saint Gregory Palamas by Anestis Keselopulos, ISBN: 1-878997-75-0
- Patristic Theology by John S. Romanides, ISBN 978-960-86778-8-3
- Prayers by the Lake by St Nikolai Velimirovich, The Serbian Orthodox Metropolinate of New Gracanica, Grayslake, IL 1999
- Saint Cyril of Alexandria and the Christological Controversy by John McGuckin, ISBN: 0-88141-259-7
- Santa Biblia Antigua Version de Casiodoro De Reina Revisada por Cipriano de Valera(1602) Revision de 1960, Holman Publishers 2008
- St John of Damascus, The Fathers of the Church series, Trans. by Frederic H. Chase, Jr., ISBN: 0-8132-0968-4
- St Seraphim of Sarov, A Spiritual Biography by Archimandrite Lazarus Moore, ISBN: 1-880364-13-1
- St Silouan The Athonite by Archimandrite Sophrony, ISBN 0-88141-195-7
- St. Symeon The New Theologian, On The Mystical Life, The Ethical Discourses, Trans. by Alexander Golitzin 3 vols. ISBN: 0-88141-142-6 and - 143-4, and 144-2
- Standing In God's Holy Fire by John A. McGuckin, ISBN: 1-57075-382-2
- Symeon The New Theologian, The Discourses, Classics of Western Spirituality, ISBN: 0-8091-2230-8
- Symeon The New Theologian, The Practical and Theological Discourses and The Three Theological Chapters, Trans. by Dr. Paul McGuckin, Cistercian Publications Inc. 1982
- The Acquisition of The Holy Spirit by I.M. Kontzevitch, ISBN: 0-938635-73-5
- The Adam Complex by Dee Pennock, ISBN: 1-880971-89-5
- The Ascetical Homilies of Saint Isaac The Syrian, Trans. by Holy Transfiguration Monastery, ISBN: 0-913026-55-7
- The Authentic Seal by Archimandrite Aimilianos, ISBN: 960-85603-3-0
- The Book of Mystical Chapters, Trans. and introduced by John A. McGuckin, ISBN: 1-59030-007-6
- The Boundless Garden by Alexandros Papadiamantis Edited by Lambros Kamperidis and Denise Harvey, ISBN 978-960-7120-23-6
- The Church Fathers ( Ante-Nicene, Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, published by Hendrickson Publishers, Peabody Massachusetts, 37 vol. set
- The Enlargement of The Heart by Archimandrite Zacharias Zacharou, ISBN 0-9774983-2-8
- The Faith of Chosen People by St Nikolai Velimirovich, The Free Serbian Diocese of America and Canada, Grayslake, IL 1988
- The Faith of The Saints , A Catechism by St. Nikolai Velimirovich, ISBN:1-932965-06-8
- The Fifty Spiritual Homilies, Pseudo-Macarius, ISBN: 0-8091-0455-5
- The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios by Dionysios Farasiotis, ISBN: 978-1-887904-16-2
- The Heart by Archimandrite Spyridon Logothetis, ISBN 960-86639-4-6
- The Hidden Man of The Heart by Archimandrite Zacharias Zacharou, ISBN 978-0-9800207-1-7
- The Holy Bible NKJV, Thomas Nelson, 1992
- The Homilies of Saint Gregory Palamas by Christopher Veniamin, 2 vols. ISBN: 1-878997-67-X; ISBN: 1-878997-68-X
- The Ladder of Divine Ascent by St. John Climacus Edited by Holy Transfifuration Monastery 1979, ISBN 0-943405-03-3
- The Life of St. Anthony by St. Athanasius the Great, Eastern Orthodox Books, Willits, CA
- The Lives of The Holy Prophets by Holy Apostles Convent, ISBN: 0944359-12-4
- The Living Witness of the Holy Mountain by Hieromonk Alexander Golitzin, ISBN: 1-878997-48-3
- The Luminus Eye by Sebastian Brock, ISBN: 0-87907-524-4
- The Mind of the Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos, Trans. by Esther Williams, ISBN: 960-7070-39-9
- The One Thing Needful by Archbishop Andrei of Novo- Diveevo, ISBN: 91-2927-29-1
- The Orthodox Ethos, Studies in Orthodoxy Edited by A.J. Philippou, Hollywell Press Oxford 1964
- The Orthodox New Testament 2 vols., Published by The Holy Apostles Convent 1999, ISBN: 0-944359-17-5 & 0-944359-14-0
- The Philokalia, The Complete Text compiled by St Nicodemos of the Holy Mountain and St Makarios of Corinth, Trans. by G.E.H. Palmer, Phillip Sherrard and Kallistos Ware Vol 4 ISBN: 0-571-11727-9
- The Philokalia, The Complete Text compiled by St Nicodemos of the Holy Mountain and St Makarios of Corinth, Trans. by G.E.H. Palmer, Phillip Sherrard and Kallistos Ware Vol2 ISBN: 0-571-15466-2
- The Philokalia, The Complete Text compiled by St Nicodemos of the Holy Mountain and St Makarios of Corinth, Trans. by G.E.H. Palmer, Phillip Sherrard and Kallistos WareVol 3 ISBN: 0-571-17525-2
- The Philokalia, The Complete Textcompiled by St Nicodemos of the Holy Mountain and St Makarios of Corinth, Trans. by G.E.H. Palmer, Phillip Sherrard and Kallistos Ware, Vol 1 ISBN: 0-571-13013-5
- The Philokalia: Master Reference Guide Compiled by Basileios S. Stapakis, Trans by G.E.H. Palmer, Phillip Sherrard, Kallistos Ware, ISBN: 1-880971-87-9
- The Prologue of Ohrid, Trans. by Fr. Timothy Tepsic, vol 1 ISBN: 978-0-9719505-0-4; vol 2 ISBN: 978-0-9719505-1-1
- The Psalter Trans. by Holy Transfiguration Monastery, ISBN: 0-943405-00-9
- The Spiritual World of St Isaac the Syrian by Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev, Cistercian Publications, Kalamazoo, Michigan 2000
- The Way of A Pilgrim trans.by R.M. French, ISBN 345-24254-8-150
- We Shall See Him As He Is by Archimandrite Sophrony Sakharov, ISBN 0-9512786-4-9
- Wisdom. Let Us Attend: Job, The Fathers, and The Old Testament by Johanna Manley, ISBN: 0-9622536-4-2
- Words of Life by Archimandrite Sophrony, Trans. by Sister Magdalen, ISBN1-874679-11-8
- Writings from The Philokalia On Prayer of The Heart, Trans. by E. Kadloubovsky and G.E.H. Palmer, ISBN: 0-571-16393-9